Did you know that you don’t need to work out your tax and super obligations on your own. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) offers free tax help for your small business in:
- all capital cities
- most regional areas in Australia
For small businesses in some regional areas, assistance may be offered over the phone or in writing.
What sort of help can I get?
Whether you’re setting up a new small business, making changes to your existing business, or just need some help understanding your tax obligations, an assistance visit can help you. You can ask questions on any tax topic, including:
- Australian Business Numbers (ABNs)
- Goods and services tax (GST)
- Employer obligations, including pay as you go (PAYG) withholding, super guarantee, and fringe benefits tax
- Activity statements and record keeping requirements
Location and time of visit
An ATO officer can meet you at your business, your home, or another location of your choice.
- Take 30 minutes to half a day, depending on the information you want to discuss
- Be organised for any time between 8am and 6pm on weekdays
Your information is safe
The ATO offers this service to help you with your business tax obligations. Any information you share with an ATO officer during these visits is confidential, and won’t be used for any other purpose.
Arranging a visit
It’s easy to arrange an assistance visit. All you need to do is:
- register for an assistance visit online, or
- call the ATO on 13 28 66 between 8am and 6pm weekdays